Saturday, March 26, 2011

Super-sports: Batman

I've been doing these little (6.5" x 9") drawings as a warm up for inking/coloring lately. I've drawn supers playing sports before, but I thought it'd be a nice little challenge to add some more folks in tights to the mix. This one is actually a re-do:


Despite the fact that I just finished inking 133 pages of comics (with Faber-Castell Pitt pens), I've decided that I'm making the switch to...NIBS! I like to be green, and I always feel bad about how fast I blow through the pens (you can't refill them, and I'm not sure they can be recycled). I've also been missing a more organic line (although Joe has already pointed out to me that I'm pretty tight about my nib-work as well). What ultimately turned me was our trip to Belgium back in November, where we were lucky enough to work in a studio with a bunch of AMAZING comics artists. My friend Max asked me what I inked with, and I showed him my fistful of Pitt pens, and he was like, "Whhhhaaaaatttt??????". And then he made a pretty strong case for nibs. I was also inspired by my friend Alec's recent post about the inking tools he uses. Needless to say, I've been inking with nibs a lot. I'm still using the Pitts when I travel (to avoid bag spills, which is a phenomena that I excel at), but all the stuff I'll be posting will most likely be inked with a G-nib. I must admit, it is super fun. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Red Herring Jeff said...

Ha-ha-ha! That's great! Maybe St. Louis would have a better hockey season if we signed ol' bats!

I use the pitt pens for about half of my work, and brush for the rest. There's a whole jar full of nib pens on my table too, but they haven't been touched in a few years...I think I'm just nervous about splotches from too full nibs. Guess I should just get over it, huh? Ha-ha-ha!

"Yes, Let's" came in the mail yesterday. My daughter loved it. Such a lovely little book.

damon said...

HAHAHA love it

Unknown said...

I checked out that article you linked to and it's soo true. I gave up on those markers and pens about 2 years ago to try and ink with brushes, and I've gotten pretty good with them, but now I have to ink a manga book and I need the super teeny pens to match the penciler's itty bitty lines. Blargh!